Monday, April 28, 2008

You Know You're Evolving Into A Yinzer When...

You stand in your kitchen contemplating a new way to prepare your frozen pirogies. My solution: grilling on the Foreman. Do I recommend it Yinz ask? Not particularly, I still prefer boiled and slathered with butter and onions, but the Foreman will do in a pinch.

The more I live in the this area, the more I'm understanding and adapting to the Pittsburgh way, but I'm not sure I'm even close to becoming a real "Pittsburgher". I actually think this title is completely unattainable to me for several reasons: I don't particularly like or watch the Steelers, ahem "Stillers", I think ketchup is disgusting (I don't care if it IS Heinz), and I'm not all that fond of Primanti sandwiches ahem "sammitches". I do however marvel at the Pittsburgh accent and usually watch the local news to hear it in the interviews, and have noticed myself using the terms "jag-off" and "nebby" a little more than I'd really like.

My whole point of this post, actually, was to draw attention to a local commercial that seems to be running a lot lately for Isley's chipped-chopped ham. First of all, I'm not completely sold on anything with the phrase chipped-chopped, but the commercial gets me every time. At the end, a Pittsburgh local describes his love affair with the ham as "fluffy and wonderful". I'm IN! Get me to a deli ASAP. Unfortunately I'm having difficulty finding the commercial to post.

3 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Today, I was in the last meeting of Faculty Senate for the year (and the last one I had to chair, yeah!), and I knew I was in Yinzland when one of the Committee Chairs, introducing an item of business, said that some document "needed rewritten." Ouch. This is someone who has earned a Ph.D.!

Pirogies - Yessss. Love them. I don't make them nearly as often as I should. First, boil them, and then, fry them in butter with onions. As Rachael Ray would say: "Yummo!"

Ketchup - Evil, except on hamburgers, either with mayonnaise or mustard. Heinz is a must. You're a Yinzer, or you ain't.

Chipped-Chopped ham - I am absolutely convinced that it is made out of - not pork butt - but of pig anus. It smells and tastes absolutely horrific. Sorry, but, obviously, I am NOT a fan (and I can't find the commercial either, but the Isaly's website is here.

Cyclops said...

I work with a girl from Texas and on Friday I had to break down the wonderful contraction "n'at". It felt somewhat weird actually saying "and that" but I still don't think she got it. Hmm, can you use it in a sentence: "Andrew and I are going to make a trip to "Pants n'at" on Saturday afternoon".

JJB said...

Yinzers make their own pierogis from scratch n'at.

Who knew that I had so much in common with chipped-chopped ham? Fluffy & wonderful, that's me!