Sunday, February 24, 2008

2 Strange Encounters Of The Day

This morning, while on my way out to the store, a boy who lives next door was out playing in the snow by my car. I said "Hey Buddy, what are you making?" thinking it would be nice to make some small talk with the kid. Instead of a response, he looked at me with fear in his eyes, gasped and ran into his house. It reminded me of the reaction of Macaulay Culkin in "Home Alone" when he first meets the scary old man. I don't think I'm old or scary, and am still puzzled by the reaction.

Strange encounter #2. This evening while on my porch for a smoke, a man pulls up in a really nice BMW convertible, gets out and says "Hey Paul! How you doing?" Response: "Sorry, I'm not Paul". The man apologizes, then gets a small dog out of the car, and sets it on the ground. The man then starts speaking to the dog in "baby-talk" and makes a series of long weird beeping sounds. I politely finished my cigarette early and locked the door.

I just finished searching ads for other places to live.

On an up note, I'm awaiting the arrival of the Jackons for some dinner and hijinx no doubt. I've also been scouring the internet for a last minute deal to just about anywhere. A colleague booked a weekend flight to Europe several weeks ago for next to nothing right at the last minute. I'm so ready to pick up and leave I was looking for flights that leave tomorrow morning. No luck, but I'll still be looking. Perhaps my next post will come to you from the beach.

3 comments:

Julia said...

Was the doggie baby talk similar to the fox's pizza guy? Is a boo boo? Sorry I didn't make it out tonight....I am a little sore from snow tubing! Hope you and Jen-nay have fun!

JJB said...

Thanks for the fun evening, Drewby! I thought we were at Choilli's for a minute earlier tonight, the sizzlin' platter & all, but then I looked around & realized it was just the House of Chen showing its Vegas. You lint licker!

Cyclops said...

Haha, do you keep the dead bodies in your salt can? Oh, and don't think that Julia's "snow tubing" is a fun winter activity; she was just doing coke with a straw instead of her customary Heath Ledger rolled up $2 bill.