Thursday, March 13, 2008

Cleveland Rocks! (sort of)

I'm headed across the border this weekend to the luxurious destination of Cleveland Ohio (or Ohi-a) to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I'm kind of excited to go, since I've never been there before, and have heard many good things about it. It's the final part of a class on Rock and Roll and protest music I took this semester with a colleague. When we signed up for the class, we joked that we would stay and rock out afterwards in Cleveland for the weekend, but never really gave it a second thought. This week, however, another work friend of mine said he felt like road tripping with us if we were serious about staying. Since he did his undergrad in Cleveland he'd be a pretty handy travel buddy. And with that, we booked a room and set our plans to go crazy for St. Patty's Day in Cleveland, Ohi-a. I am a little bummed though since it is St. Patrick's Day weekend, and won't be able to celebrate in Pittsbugh with everyone, (even though last year I swore I would never go back to the parade).

Although I did have fun and probably will be back again next year, reasons why I didn't love the experience:
  • It was snowing like a bastard.
  • I found myself crammed in a port-a-potty with 4 men, all trying to urinate at the same time.
  • I was D.D. and had to sober up too early.
  • I man with a Mohawk and green pedal pushers on said "Yinz queer?" in all seriousness. (Oh wait, that was what made the day)
  • Because I was sobering up I got in a rare but brutal pissy mood.
But yes, I'd do it all over again. There's always next year.

As I was planning the final details of my weekend escape to the great state to our west this afternoon, I received two phone calls from some friends. The first was my former college roommate who wanted to chat before he left tomorrow for two weeks in Jamaica. And the other from a friend who is, as we speak, in flight to spend two weeks in France. I feel bad for them. Neither one will get to experience the exoticness that is Cleveland. And, since I have no spring break, for now it will have to do. Since I'll be out, chances are there will be no blogging this weekend (sorry NaBloPoMo), but I will make up the posts with exciting stories from the weekend to come!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are in got a great time in Cleveland......I spent a few St. Patty's there in college and it was a drunken good time!!

Have a great weekend!