Monday, May 26, 2008

I made my way back to my hometown this holiday weekend to visit the family, and for the first time in a while, I had an overwhelming sense of nostalgia. I think the OT on family visiting coupled with seeing a few friends I hadn't seen in a while really made me miss the old town. However, my weekend was also filled with "This is why I moved" moments. This weekend was all a buzz in the sleepy town too, because it was the annual Memorial Day Jubilee! Yes I realize that it is probably the only place in the free world that still refers to something as a "Jubilee" (and they also have a Juneteenth celebration, but that's another post altogether). So not only did I get to witness a stellar fireworks display, I also got to participate in a 15 minute long parade and a chicken BBQ! I did also snag some awesome stuff for work from one of my oldest and bestests Kato (No, not Kalin).

Besides the awesome festivities, I worked like a bone fide indentured servant landscaping with my father this weekend. The bonding was nice, but the sunburn doesn't really seem worth it.

I also learned that my two neices have developed their own language, which totally fascinates me. A new vocabulary word I learned this weekend: "cheekin' " = kidding. I took this opportunity to introduce them to some Chutney Popcorn vocabulary as well. They now pronounce "chips and salsa" as "chulsa", and I actually taught them that "bear paw" is pronounced "burpah". However, their idea of a bear paw and the literal Chutney to English translation vary quite a bit, I didn't want to let them miss out on any language learning moment.

In other unrelated new, while sitting on my porch this evening, I witnessed a couple pull in and out of the same parking spot a total of 4 times to readjust the car. Then after the 4th attempt, a woman got out of the passenger seat, and directed him how to park, describing in inches how far the car was away from the curb. Please keep in mind this was NOT parallel parking, nor was their a car in the space next to it. Really?

I hope everyone had an excellent and Sucker-free Memorial Day weekend.

Busta Rhymes - Don't Touch Me


Found at skreemr.com

2 comments:

Julia said...

I love that your teaching your neices chutney popcorn! Go Uncle Drewby! Also remember that time in Greensburg when that person could not park either. PARK IT LIKE ITS HOT!

JJB said...

I love it. It really is easier to learn a second language when you're younger, so the girls will be well-versed in Chutney in the coming years. And clearly "burrpah" is the most important word in the whole chicory.