Sunday, May 11, 2008

M is for the Many Thing She Gives Me...

In honor of today being Mother's Day, I'm dedicating this post to the only woman nearest and dearest to me: my mother. Always ready with a witty and unexpected inappropriate remark and pretty sound advice disguised as passing conversation, my mom has been a hugely influential part of my life, and I'm just starting to realize how much so now that I've moved out and lived on my own.

My mother is an awesome cook, and is one of those people that can make absolutely anything, and with more calories that it's supposed to have. This trait was always popular with my friends growing up, as my house was always one of the hang outs because staying for dinner was never a question. It seems all I ever do on my visits home is eat, and when I'm not eating I'm in the kitchen talking to my mom helping make the next thing I'm going to eat. This is a welcome change for me since I've moved out. Home cooked food is not a regular occourance at the Casa de Drewby.

She also could be categorized under the "can be a bit overbearing" category, however, I really do believe she has no intention of doing so. I remember moving into my dorm room my freshman year of college. I was talking to a couple guys in my doorway who would be my new neighbors. Right in the middle of the conversation my mother interrupts with an armload of my underwear and tells me she's putting "all these in the top drawer". Ok, thanks Mom. When I later told her not to unpack my things, I would do it, her feelings were genuinely hurt. However, at that stage so was my pride, and I didn't much care. Mom has mellowed considerably since then, and when I moved into a place of my own, her unpacking prowess was welcomed with open arms.

So here's to you, Mom, and all mom's. Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Thanks for this paean to your mom, Andrew. I am not sure that I could ever write one to mine. I loved the anecdote about unpacking the underwear - absolutely precious!

As a mother, I have always tried not to be an embarrassment to my daughter, but I am quite sure that, at times, I have failed.

Cyclops said...

I couldn't have put it better myself!