Thursday, September 6, 2007

Always an Experience...ALWAYS.

I had to make an emergency grocery trip this evening to WalMart because I came home for work today to a refrigerator standing wide open, and I had to throw away everything in it. Ok, Thanks NyQuill for making me so groggy at 6:30 am. Shopping at WalMart always puts me in a pissy mood anyway, but tonight's antics really pushed me over the edge.
It began before I even got in the door when a man from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review attacked me with a free newspaper. When I politely declined, he said in a tone I took to be a little snide "What, don't you like free things?" Normally I would have had a cute little comment back, but thought better of it tonight, for fear I might snap. So I ignored him, and walked in. Flashforward to the dairy case for some milk, one of my last items. DIRECTLY in front of the milk I usually buy was a mother and her middle school-aged daughter practicing pirouettes. I thought it would stop at one spin, but they just kept doing it over and over and giggling the whole time. This INFURIATED me. "Hate to break up the dance party, but could I get my milk please?" At this, they both stopped and gave me a simultaneous rude look and stepped back.
I made a stop in the condiment aisle to pick up some pickles, but was completely blocked out by a white trash family deciding whether or not they should purchase the 2 gallon size Miracle Whip (I'm not kidding). Finally, I made my way to the checkout. As I swiped my credit card, a large bubbly middle-aged woman walks right up to me, pushes my cart out of the way, bends down and says "I spy something!" I looked down, not exactly sure what was going to happen to me next, and she begins to try (with no luck) to pick up a penny someone had dropped. When she finally captured it after 30 seconds, she realized that it was face-down, therefore sure to bring bad luck, and threw it back on the floor in front of me.
Really? Is this the kind of ridicule I must face when doing my grocery shopping at a discount mega-mart? You may roll back your prices WalMart, but you seem to roll out the red carpet for everyone on the green bus.

2 comments:

JJB said...

"Hate to break up the dance party, but could I get my milk please?"

Did you really say that? Ummm...Drewby, that seems a little out of character?

Anonymous said...

Do you understand why I always hated going into Walmart?

There's nothing I like more than dipping my fat fingers inside a 2 gallon jug of miracle whip!